Introduction  

Posted by: Jessica

It occurred to me once upon awaking that I frequently have dreams about houses. I wouldn't call them recurring dreams, because I don't recall them ever being the same - not even the houses in the dreams are the same. In most cases, the houses are ones that I have never seen before, and therefore have certainly never been in. There is often a sense of familiarity or anticipation. Sometimes, the dream is about the exterior of a house, like a camera is panning a street and then zooming in on a particular house that I recognize when I see it with an, "Ah, there it is." Or sometimes I am walking around the perimeter of a house waiting for someone to arrive, looking in the windows, or trying to figure out how to get in. Sometimes I'm just trying to determine, "Is this the right house?" Usually when the dream involves the exterior of a house, I don't get to go in.

Most of the time however, the dreams center on the interior of a house. My favorite ones involve secret passageways or miscellaneous junk - papers particularly - in an attic that are there to be sifted through like so much treasure. The absolute best dreams involve a trip to an attic where I discover the entrance to a slide, and the slide is like one of those red tube slides on a playground but longer...oh so much longer, and the colors are glowing red and black and darkness...but somehow it isn't frightening. I don't recall just now that I've ever come out the bottom of one of these slides. I don't know what is at the end. The more recent dreams about houses that I have had involve large rooms separated by curtains rather than walls. Behind each curtain is a surprising new room, often large and unfurnished.

So, when I came to the realization that so many of my dreams consisted of this recurring theme, I was terribly excited. I felt special. I thought that surely there must be some significance to the theme. I can't accept that having dreams and looking for meaning in them is entirely new age drivel. Do people even say "New Age" any more? It was all the rage once upon a time.

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions."

Unfortunately any modern dream interpretation material is technically a lot of hooey and mumbo jumbo. In fact I just read today that one psychiatrist of great renown said that to dream about houses implies a latent desire to visit a brothel. Hmm...I hadn't really considered that possibility. Any recommendations? The most common "interpretations" I have come across suggest that houses in dreams (rooms, attics, passageways) represent unrealized potential and the desire for said potential to be fulfilled. Not earth-shattering really...I think my last fortune cookie offered the same platitude. Who among us doesn't long for our potential to be fully achieved? Still, I have often thought about exploring those rooms and sifting through those papers and finding a way into the inaccessible houses and finding out what lies at the bottom of the slide. And so, that is Dreams About Houses. The overarching theme here is going to getting through the clutter and the crap and settling in at the center where it is clean and simple and wonderful.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

Very pretty! Where do you get those great backgrounds? That's funny about the brothel. It may be something you need to think on a bit. :)

So are you gonna keep both blogs going or just the new one?

Thanks, i love this background so much! it was kind of a pain to figure out, but it's coming along. this one is from a site that you can link to at the bottom of the page. the other one is from a site called (unfortunately)http://www.suckmylolly.com/ I don't recommend googling that...just copy and paste - or click through to the site on my other blog page. :-)

I don't know if I'll keep up the other one. I started another post for it, but it just sounds so boring. Maybe one day when I'm clever again!

o.k. I just wrote a comment, but was signed into Mike's account; that would have been really creepy. This is kinda what I said, but it was funnier the first time...
great great post! I smiled the whole time I was reading it. I still say "new age" and I also still say "awesome" which is totally what your new post is!!!

i can't tell you how happy i am that i know these blogs exist. and i love your dreams about houses; i do think it means you are special. i love that.
it's like how my mom loves sheep...she just loves them so much, and i think there is some spiritual reason why. I love how the Lord puts pieces of His heart in different ways in different people.
I hope you keep dreaming about houses. And one day, maybe He will be sitting at the kitchen table..

Post a Comment